Friday, June 9, 2023

I have a strange like/dislike relationship with melee.  Maybe it's similar to social dance in that way?  Though, the likes and dislikes are pretty different.  I was watching some Fiction (was about to say Druggedfox lol) coaching sessions and was inspired to jump into unranked to see if I could apply some of it all.  I got a certain sort of weird validation when some Falco player signaled in-game that basically I was being a lame-ass marth player who just grabbed -- to myself, I thought "that's RIGHT I just grab, that is exactly what Marth is supposed to play for in this matchup, I am 100% doing the right thing".  Unfortunately my punish game and techchasing just isn't up to snuff -- partly for lack of grinding out the techskill, partly because I'm used to having less lag / more time to react and more consistent control of my character.  If I want to enjoy the game more that is something I'll have to just grind out.  But the real question is do I WANT to?  I'm not really sure.  Three are aspects of the game that I really enjoy playing and thinking about, but after playing a while I don't always really feel happy about it.

I feel like within the microcosm of a set of melee interactions there are so many more "negative" feeling things that can happen to you compared to the other activities that I do.  I'm not talking about people being BM or even the feeling of losing a match or anything like that, I just mean like flubbing techskill and getting punished for it, or simply missing an opportunity that you should have gotten.  Sure mistakes happen in ALTTPR too (brainfarts, too), but the emotional feeling isn't as pointed since you aren't literally getting hit out of what you were trying to do -- not to mention, mistakes in ALTTPR happen at a much slower pace.


No comments :

Post a Comment