Thursday, December 22, 2022

Well shucks...

I'll just write a few things, and hope to be back here sooner rather than later.

I did another ALTTPR run the other week/day and after hovering moldorm 2 on the first try and getting a 1-cycle on ganon phase 2 with master sword + somaria + cape I was feeling pretty good about myself.  Still feels nice to just play and execute well, even if not everything is perfect.

I've been delving into Triangle Strategy lately, which was gifted to me generously by a fan.  There are a few mixed reviews criticizing the lack of depth/unit customization in the tactics gameplay as well as the hefty amounts of story.  I can see where they're coming from; the experience is definitely different than both FFT and Tactics Ogre LUCT.  FFT I think is really about sculpting your units into efficient and overpowered machines, whereas Tactics Ogre I think focuses more on big armies (lots of units!), overall positioning, and sidegrades (well, for the One Vision mod, at least) in order to tweak how they perform.

Triangle Strategy contains a lot less unit customization, but it does still have an emphasis on unit positioning and usage of terrain.  It's story-heavy for sure, but I think it's actually a good balance, since the tactics gameplay itself isn't as "rewarding" as FFT where you get to grow and work with your units more substantially.  So far the story is keeping me engaged, at least, even the "exploration" sections which I can see would turn off other people.  If I were to have one gripe with it it's that some of the units seem a lot harder to use effectively than others right now, but maybe their uses are just supposed to be more niche.


No comments :

Post a Comment