Friday, December 9, 2022

Canada trip, Pump It Up, yet another goodbye

Well, where do I even begin...?

I was up in Canada for a work trip this week.  I think it went ok!

While I was there we had various teambuilding activities, including axe-throwing (!) and curling (haha).  I was terrible at the axe-throwing until the end when they showed us how to toss with one hand -- I guess that made it click for me.  Curling, on the other hand, actually came very natural to me, maybe because I've seen the correct form once or twice, maybe because I'm just used to a balanced lunging stance from martial arts.  I was genuinely impressed with how one or two of my shots were actually able to curve into the right position (with the aid of the sweeping).

I also had the opportunity to try Pump It Up for the first time, and I can say that it does not disappoint.  I've known for a while now that the PIU folks really love playing Pump, and that it's very popular in some parts...I can see why now.  Besides what I already knew (the game is in general kept a bit more "up to date" and fresh in terms of charting practices and songs), I got to experience firsthand how the panel layout lends itself to lots of fun crossover patterns.  Some friendly PIU folks were luckily around the machine and helped us with song sorting / scroll speed mods after I explained that I was a DDR player.  I started on an S6, which ended up being way too easy, and then moved up to S9/S10, capping off with an S11 that was quite fun.  The PIU player who was helping me/us out was pretty incredulous that I was playing S9/S10 on my first time and exclaimed that I must be REALLY good at DDR (I'm good, sure, but not anything special).  I think my experience with DDR doubles probably really helped here, as well as just being used to rhythm games in general and chart reading.  It was actually easier for me to get into than I thought, and I was reading crossovers pretty well, just sometimes a little too slow for my body to hit them all with precise control.

It's certainly interesting seeing the different vibe or "feel" of PIU gameplay vs DDR gameplay, I can see why PIU is known for being more about pushing you towards difficult note streams vs DDR trying to be more rhythmic and technical.  I'll have to maybe try to make it down to Round1 to try some more PIU at some point.  For now, though, probably best to get into making good use of my new LTEK metal pads...

Amidst all that, I got the news that another one of my dear friends had passed.  She was my favorite of the bunch, and I felt a pang of regret at not having visited her in the few days before leaving on my trip, as I had been thinking to.  In the end I think the decision was right at the time, so I don't blame myself...just a shame that I was not able to see her one last time.

Did you enjoy your life together, while it lasted?  Did you enjoy your time with me, while it lasted?  Was it right, that you went away?  That I could not be with you the last year of your lives?  Perhaps it was better, it was a chance for me to separate myself, so that the end would not sting so much.  But it still leaves an emptiness behind in my heart.  I don't think anyone will ever be able to replace them in my life, because they are each special.  They...were happy.  I know this, better than anyone.  I perhaps understood each of them better than anyone.  And perhaps they will live in my memory more than in anyone else's.

This week has been......interesting.  Like a vacation, but not at the same time.  I worked and put in hours for one of my jobs, but at the same time I did not achieve anything on my other jobs.  All of that is still waiting for me when I get back.  The music commissions, the Christmas letters, Rhythm Quest, vacuuming, laundry, cooking, housework, pet chores, and everything else.  I think it's easy for me to be at this work offsite and feel like the only thing to think about in the world is the stuff related to this one job.  But then I'm reminded of all of the other "jobs" that I also have a responsibility to.  At that moment, everything becomes so "small".  I'm a little afraid of everything that awaits.  I just want everything to be okay.  But it's a little bit harder to believe in that, now that another loved one is gone forever.

2 comments :

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of a friend. The feelings we experience when faced with the end of life are different for everyone, but it always hurts somehow. I hope their happy life proves that life is worth living.

    On a happier note, I totally agree with your assessment of PIU vs DDR. I've had very little chance to play PIU as the only place around is about 45 mins away and is a little expensive, but I definitely like how it's laid out and what movement patterns the notes can push you into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your condolences.

      Yes, I think both games seem great :)

      Delete