Thursday, November 5, 2015

There is actually something really sweet about Plague Knight's story and budding romance with Mona through Shovel Knight ~Plague of Shadows~.  I was actually super duper happy seeing them dance together.  I feel like usually the plotlines and such that run through similar sorts of games are a little corny and cheesy and all, but this one didn't feel that way at all!  I mean, sure, you could say it was a little predictable, but I don't think that made it any less sweet.

I think a big part of it is songs like https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/waltz-for-one really setting the mood.  virt really did a great job here, as he always does of course.  And I think in a way, it stays really true to what really gripped us and drew us into video games during the golden age -- a large part of it was the music, and the magic of those animated sprites.  Yes, the music was of a limited palette, and the art was very restricted as well, but those songs and graphics had =character=!  I wouldn't be the first person to say that perhaps it's exactly because they are less realistic that it's easier to extrapolate and interpret them.  Oh, Shovel Knight...what an insanely well-done game.

"I definitely think Shovel Knight's success is due to the brilliant designs of the 8-bit generation. Those games were fun, impacting, emotional, joyous, and much more. A lot of the feelings and enjoyment found in those game designs have been lost in today's age. I think having those elements be present again brought back great memories to a lot of people who experienced those games. And those who didn't play 8-bit games, Shovel Knight introduced that 8-bit gameplay in a way that was more approachable than booting up an NES game."



No comments :

Post a Comment