Monday, October 14, 2013

Dances

Just a few.

A dance with Mirage, during I think the first class of Social 1 when I retook it as a follow.  It was then that I fully realized "oh man, switching roles in the middle of a dance is awesome!".

Many dances with Gerentt, including one tango in social 1 before we even knew each other, but one sticks out in my mind.  It was back before, when we used to dance more often, and talk about dance more often as well.  All I remember is that it was one waltz, at the very end of FNW--I think Richard Powers was DJ'ing--and we were amazing, it was such a rush, holy crap, we were awesome.

A lindy with Rachel that I think involved an incident with laughing too hard, and saliva, and more laughing.

The dance at the end of Big Dance, when I first truly met Acata.  Simply by chance that we found each other for the last dance.  It was like one of those dances when two skilled dancers dance with each other for the first time...but filled with so much more emotion.

Dancing Lullaby of Flame with Emily, probably the best I have ever danced to my own music.  Doing lead-goes-under, switching hands, right-to-right outside turn, swinging her with cross hands into a free spin and catching her by LEAPING into redowa at the phrase boundary was amazing.

Many waltzes to Breakaway, one of my favorite waltzes ever if not the most awesome waltz song in existence.

Dancing salsa with JJ--salsa??--to prove to ourselves that we could, because we were too damn shy toward each other.

Performing in the cross-step waltz competition at Viennese Ball, where I was "not supposed to be", I had thought.

Several accelerating waltzes with Danya, where we would conspire and coordinate to take off each others' hairties at the same time in front of Richard.  I remember making Tracey crack up one time as we were waving our hair together like that.

Almost every dance to "When Can We Do This Again", (except for the first time when I hadn't seen Wreck It Ralph yet).  One or two of them ended with me crying out of happiness afterwards as I fully realized how beautiful life is and how happy I should be if only I would look around me and let myself smile.

Redowas with Alex and Jane where the only thing that limited our speed was the other couples on the dance floor...including one where someone literally shouted "Crazy kids!" as we flew by.

Dancing with my mom for the first time at Friday Night Waltz.

Dawn Mazurka Quadrilles at Big Dance, where I went and -booked- it when the guys "let the ladies loose", leaping all the way across the entire room as Gerentt/Bob stood there going ".....oh crap"

Dancing with Rachel in her Viennese Ball dress, omg.  Yes, the super pretty one with the white bow, the white bow!~

A dance with Belinda, where it felt as if we were dancing not with each other, not with the music, but to something else entirely...

A cross-step with Yii Wen, the first time I ever fanned my partner while waltzing with them, using one hand for each.

The first time I tried to do the cross-step waltz mixer without a single variation repeat.

The time when I realized that reverse rotary waltz is the same thing as role-reversed mirror waltz...and that backleading regular rotary waltz is the same thing as reverse mirror waltz!  whoa!

Dancing with Lewis to the remix of Shadow's theme from the FF6 remix album, wow that was awesome.

Performing my Gangnam Style remix, the one that I had never really practiced except in my head where I choreographed doing pac-man arms, tetris pieces falling, the "pause" pose, the macarena, and damn I NAILED the orbital at the dubstep scream when I was glowstringing.

Dancing with everyone to my Erin Shore remix for the first time at Jammix.  Really proud of that moment.

Thank you.

No comments :

Post a Comment