Wednesday, March 20, 2024

The trip went okay!  I ate some good food, saw some cool things, etc.

As far as food goes, there wasn't any particular standout highlight, just a few good things.  My takeaways are I might try to make Shkmeruli (a Georgian dish, with chicken cooked in a garlic/butter/cream sauce) at some point.  I had a shrimp ravioli with a...(pumpkin-based?  I don't remember) nice sauce that was pretty good as well, I don't think I'll be replicating that one but it reminded me that the flavor of fresh chives can really add a nice note to a lot of dishes.  I had a really nice pasta alla forma there as well, basically spaghetti in a really creamy parmigiano reggiano sauce, flavored with porcini mushrooms.  Reminds me that my cacio e pepe could stand to use some work...

We did a little indoor minigolf activity -- I basically crushed it, though the courses were a little small, so not a ton of "hard shots" (I made the really hard ones), more like testing your medium/short range putting consistency, which I wasn't the best at, but did well enough.  It got me itching to go to out to Golfland sometime again.  I visited the one in Castro Valley not super long ago, which was an interesting experience.  It's been ages and ages since the one time I went out to the Milpitas one, it might be nice to find a time to go out there and see how it stacks up, and compare it to Sunnyvale (the baseline).  Overall the Castro Valley one seems more difficult due to shorter banks, longer putts, and lots of slightly-sloped ground everywhere.  I like the course design more at Sunnyvale overall.

I did a LOT of cubing practice over the course of the trip.  I'm actually ~25s....ish....now, with some solves actually creeping into the sub-20 range, so honestly not half bad given that I'm still doing 2-look OLL.  My PLL recognition and memory is still really sucky, but at least I managed to learn algs for all 21 cases over the course of the trip.  Now it's just a matter of getting more comfortable with all of them.  I also realized that I'm generally really slow on cross, that's something I tried to work on a little.  And then of course F2L...I think I'm totally fine with just doing F2L with my trusty good ol solutions, but I realized that I need to work on efficiency and learning some better solutions for certain cases and avoid having so many regrips for certain cases.  But anyways, it was super fortunate timing to get back into this for the trip, it really helped me pass the time well.

The plane ride actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Maybe it's because the last time I flew international I had a layover...?   I did some cubing, played some phone games, watched some anime/videos, played some rando, got some sleep.  Just casual chill stuff, nothing too serious.  Honestly I felt pretty lazy about my time on the plane, didn't even pull out my letter writing supplies or anything.  But eh, whatever passes the time, I guess.  I lucked out and had an empty seat next to me on the way there, which was excellent.  Unfortunately, had a big guy next to me on the flight back, but eh, made it work.

It's good to be back home, doing all the normal things, including cooking everyday, streaming rando, etc etc.  My chickens seem to be doing better than before, maybe they're just happy that it's getting more sunny out.  I'm actually sleeping somewhat normally due to jetlag, so we'll see whether I can keep that going or not.  I basically didn't work on Rhythm Quest at all this past week, so we'll see if I can play catchup on that a little.  I worked on it an "ok" amount today, maybe not as much as I would have liked, but I had other things to do, and hey, progress is progress.

Been having a bunch of talks about friendships and such, we'll see if any of that ends up coming to a head in the near future I guess.


No comments :

Post a Comment