Sunday, November 27, 2022

I want to let you know, that it's okay to feel sad even after you had a good day.  That it's an adaptive human behavior for negative emotions to overwhelm positive ones.

Do you think it's a necessity, that we make up for our mistakes?  Isn't an apology owed even when no wrong was intended?  How important is it that we repent for our sins?  Just how virtuous is it to feel regret?

Once upon a time, I believed that negative emotions carried no use.  That it was best to learn from our mistakes, without agonizing over them.  To do the right thing, without unnecessary anguish.  At the time, I was surrounded by what I will only describe as toxic negativity, coming from multiple fronts of my life.  It was only natural for me to learn to see negative emotions as overbearing, to establish a belief that they were hindrances, that the only way to survive was to cast them aside.

Is that really right, though?  Now that I have broken free from those dark realms, is there another way to survive?  To allow myself to feel sadness and regret, yet to believe that I need not correct my course.

I think it is difficult, too difficult, to allow oneself to feel negative emotions, without a belief that one will also be protected from them.  Whether that protection be in the form of conviction, self-compassion, experience, or the grace of others, perhaps does not matter.  Only that we have something that we can lean upon when we stumble, somewhere where we can take shelter from the inevitable storms.  That is why it shakes me so when the universe lays bare the cracks in all of my pillars.  When it becomes clear that sometimes, we have no choice but to fall to the ground.


No comments :

Post a Comment