Thursday, June 2, 2022

Alright, well.


Fanime 2022

The last Fanime report was here.  It's been 3 years since then (thanks covid) so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Funnily enough badge pickup was extremely quick, but that's because...the main bottleneck was vaccination validation before that, which sprawled into a progressively longer and longer line throughout each day.  It wasn't =too= bad, fortunately.

Overall, things went great for me and I had fun.  It was more crowded than I had expected and I felt a bit uncomfortable at times especially with large numbers of people unmasked outside and other all-too-familiar such things happening, but I guess =that= is the new normal we're facing, truly (not looking forward to my next flight...).

I didn't expect to buy a single thing at the con but surprisingly walked out with some nice stationery sets and even some new Cinnamoroll license plate covers.  I did play some nice TGM3 sessions (alongside some fellow TGM players) but skipped out on anything else that I might have been interested in (3rd strike, melee, etc).  I honestly didn't feel a particular need to do much besides just spend time with my friends and have good company, which went very well.  Maybe if I was dead set on staying at con for more hours, I would have sat down and played more games, brought my laptop, wandered around more, etc, but quite the opposite was true and I was happy to cut back on hours there.

There's not much else to write about it, really.  Some things were definitely different (IPOH and a bunch of other restaurants are closed entirely), but things went well.


Go Mode Podcast: Mentor Tournament

I decided to dive in and enter this year's Mentor Tournament for ALTTPR!  I've never raced before so I figured this would be a good excuse to get my feet wet as well as improve my skills and decision-making with the help of some more experienced runners.  I've been spending a good deal of time trying to brush up on my execution as well as working with my week 1 mentor and it's been relatively rewarding so far; I feel like I'm in much better shape than I've ever been in terms of my play.  All that's left is to put it all on the table when my first race rolls around (in a few days!).

The only downside here is that the training has been eating up into my time for other stuff (Rhythm Quest development).  Hopefully that doesn't continue to be an issue; though I imagine I'll try to put a little bit less time into future weeks so it may be fine.

 

I guess I managed to keep this one rather short and sweet despite how much stuff happened.  Overall things are going well, though really it's more just busy than anything else having just come off of Fanime straight into Mentor Tourney practice.  Being this occupied with things makes me understand how people can go about their days while so rarely reaching out to others outside of immediate reach and...let's just say I have some feelings about that.  If the solution to the loneliness I used to feel throughout life is simply to "be occupied" then I don't know what to say.  When past me asks how to fix things for them I really think I still don't have an answer to that.  I probably shouldn't think about it too much because it's probably too depressing.


No comments :

Post a Comment