Thursday, October 5, 2023

Last night was one of those many-dream nights.  I usually take it as a good thing when that happens...feels instinctively like I'm hitting the good parts of my sleep schedule.

I had dreams about two traumatic periods/contexts of my life, one from high school and another one from more recently.  But in both cases, the people involved were different, and...the experience was entirely different.  I felt supported when I made mistakes, I felt excited and optimistic, and happy to be there despite encountering unfamiliar scenarios.

I don't really know what having those dreams means for me -- maybe nothing, really -- but it gave me a bit of extra perspective.  Reminded me of what it is like to be surrounded by people who are supportive and loving rather than those who are toxic and negative.  It is a real shame that it took me so long in my life before I was able to realize that.

Last night I also took advantage of the warmer weather to take my first nighttime walk out in my new neighborhood.  The feel of the streets at night are entirely different where I live now compared to the city where I used to live...it's not necessarily better or worse, I guess, just very different.  It feels much less "open", due to being in a more wooded area.  The air still feels very fresh, but I think just being able to see less of the night sky at once, makes a big difference in feeling.  It's a more interesting feeling; there's certainly more variety among the streets here, more to explore.  But it feels very unfamiliar, too.  It doesn't really feel like home.  Well, of course it doesn't.

But despite that, it still brought back a nostalgic feeling.  Being alone at night brings a unique sensibility that I'm well-acquainted with.  It reminds me of something important.  It can feel lonely, but in a familiar sort of way.  It's not really anything grand, it's just a certain feeling.


No comments :

Post a Comment