Wednesday, September 6, 2023

I remember the days when it felt like I was actually writing interesting thoughts here, instead of just doing a mind dump.  But then, I remember doing the "daily mind dump" even before that.  Maybe these things just go in cycles.

Rhythm Quest development continues to chug along with my work on the level editor.  It's daunting because there's so much to work on, but at the same time, it's kind of a nice thing because it means you can just pick whatever you feel like working on, rather than forcing yourself to work on any particular thing.  There's no shortage of work to be done, so just do whatever you feel like.

I finished all of Baldur's Gate 3.  I can't really tell where I land on it because it's a solid mix of good and mediocre.  I think the important part is that I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite all of my criticisms.  I'm already contemplating another playthrough on the hard difficulty, but this time....equipped with some community-made mods that might hopefully help make the experience a little better in terms of quality of life improvements.  I haven't started on that, I don't know when or if I will, but I feel like the one thing that BG3 =did= help me out with was giving me something to look forward to.

I've actually been doing a good bit of gaming this week, since I gave myself the week fully off of work.  I played through Mega Man 6 on a whim -- was much easier of a game than I remembered, they are REALLY generous with the e-tanks in MM6 it seems.  But I still remember really struggling with the game when I was younger, too.  It's crazy how much one's skill can improve with these things.

I started playing through Link's Awakening DX too.  I've never played the game boy color version, admittedly, so it's slightly new in that regard, but mostly just the same ol Link's Awakening GB gameplay.  It really pales in comparison to A Link to the Past, despite being released some 7 years later.  They did a good job within the limitations of the system, but there's so much more backtracking and the world takes so much longer to navigate, so overall the pacing just feels very much slower.  I'm glad that I have the benefit of fast-forward to speed things up a little bit.  I'm also of course much better at just reasoning about puzzles, dungeon stuff, and all that, so that is helping as well.  I'm probably what, like 70% done maybe?  I already got the boomerang and am in dungeon like...6 or something?

I played through Pocky and Rocky Reshrined.  It was oddly.....not quite as fun as I expected.  It makes me wonder if the original SNES game actually had better gameplay (or maybe Pocky and Rocky 2 is even better?)  The art and music direction was good enough, just something about the gameplay wasn't really quite on the mark.  The levels either felt really chaotic or encouraged you to stop a lot, or some odd mix of both.  I can't really say for sure.  I'll have to try the original someday to give a better comparison.

I swear there's been other stuff going on besides video games, that's just the thing that readily comes to mind.  I've been continuing to enjoy white tea...really reminds me of the good that can be in life, so there's that...


No comments :

Post a Comment