Monday, September 11, 2023

And so my week "break" ends, just as it began -- quietly, without incident.  I didn't relax a ton, didn't get a ton done, but I planned to do neither of those things, just...step through life as usual, only with a little more time on my hands.  Could I have done a little more on Rhythm Quest, for example?  Yeah, but I also could have done any number of other things, too.  It's totally fine.

Put together another keyboard build and am now auditioning different tactile switches on it to see how I feel about them.  It's a 65% keyboard, so a little more compact, and has reaffirmed my preference that TKL is my layout of choice, but eh, maybe the function-row-less (FRL TKL) layout of the board that I have coming later this year will be a nice compromise.  Anyhow, it's a fun little sidequest in my life right now.

Rhythm Quest work just continues to chug along.  I'm past that sort of initial burst of work on the level editor, but it's come a long way since then...not quite fully-featured, but it's definitely getting closer.  Looking forward to continuing to work on that some more...

In the meantime I suffered some random spurts of anxiety here and there.  It's odd because I never really figured out in particular where they came from.  Perhaps just a life thing.  To be continued, I guess.  It's something I'm going to have to sit on a bit more.  Think about how I am really feeling.  How I want to be.  Whether I'm doing the right thing.

But I'm glad that there are, at the very least, things to look forward in life, of some sort.  I installed a bunch of quality-of-life mods and am giving Baldur's Gate 3 another shot, on Tactician difficulty.  The QOL mods are helping for sure, though they can only go so far.  Going through the story a second time makes me realize how some areas were just....really confusing the first time around.  Took a second time through to kind of understand what was going on, properly.  It makes me wonder what the average experience through games like this is like.  Are other people just as confused by certain things?  Is it just bad design...?

I finished my playthrough of Link's Awakening DX.  Didn't bother getting all of the seashells (and didn't particularly care to), but finished everything else, including the "color dungeon".  Overall it was much less enjoyable of an experience than A Link to the Past, but I can sort of see why the game functions that way.  There's a lot more backtracking, it's never straightforward how to get from one screen to another since each individual screen is so small -- sort of like you're zoomed into this big maze, rather than ALTTP which is more open-feeling, both in the overworld and in the underworld (dungeons).  Surprisingly, the dungeons felt quite a lot more complex in Link's Awakening.  Especially the latter few (Eagle Tower, Turtle Rock), they really require you to backtrack a lot and keep track of overarching goals while exploring room-to-room.  Overall the dungeons were more "difficult" in that way (minus maybe Ice Palace in ALTTP?), so I understood immediately why I got stuck so easily when I played this earlier in my life.  I didn't appreciate some of the more obtuse-seeming dungeon areas -- lots of bombing walls or hookshotting in areas that might not pop out to you obviously.  I think part of the issue is that it was never obvious where I should be looking for progression in the dungeon, and it takes a long time to navigate across the various (small) rooms, so it felt like you spend a lot of time wandering around without actually making progress.  I'm sure these are all issues that are probably alleviated somewhat in the Switch remake, though (I'd imagine...).

All I can from here on out is just hope to tap into my "best self", I guess...I mean, what else is there to be doing?


No comments :

Post a Comment