Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I'm not sure I can ever convince myself to support services like Spotify by putting my music on their platforms, no matter how many people clamor for it.  I very well may admit defeat someday, but to do so feels like turning against what I believe in.  Am I really the sort of person who would oppose their own beliefs just to gain more recognition?


I suppose I should write a more formal post about my stance on it, but it's not like I would be saying anything that hasn't been said already.  Thinking about how the collective herd simply chooses without fail to move on to the next thing truly pains my soul, because it is not just about moving from Winamp to iTunes and from iTunes to Pandora and then to Spotify.  It is about moving on from AIM to browser chat to Messenger apps, it is about moving on from blogs to instagrams, it is about moving on from Xanga to Livejournal to Myspace to Facebook, it is about moving on from Message Boards to Discord to Twitch chat.  And it is about all of the things that have been lost and tossed aside along the way.

When was the last time you wrote a hand-written letter?  When was the last time you left a voicemail message for a friend?

If no one else will remain behind to extol the virtues of what we once had all along, then I will.  For that is something that I truly believe in.

No comments :

Post a Comment