Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I went on my third Journey today...it wasn't afterwards that I started crying.  I think this is actually the first time I've actually started crying because of Journey, though surely the emotions were strongest before when I was experiencing it for the first time ever.

I got connected with a newbie redcloak this time, and was super excited to help them out, but they seemed to be...well, not that responsive, and slow to move.  I kept on trying to signal them to go places but they seemed to be intent at going at their own pace and not really communicating back either.  I wonder if they thought I was just an NPC?  Surely not...I mean come on, I even know how to faceplant! xD

I ended up staying behind as they left to go to the next level.  As they walked through the corridor to the next area, I pressed start so that I would sit down and meditate, watching them go and signaling to them that I wouldn't be following.  I felt such mixed feelings at that moment.  Was I doing the right thing?  Should I be letting them go?  Should I be staying with them?  Surely if I had kept going with them I would probably have gotten impatient and just left them behind at some point in the future, right?  Yet, I still felt a pang of guilt at letting that newbie go off on their own.  Well, hopefully they found another companion who was better for them.  Or...maybe they're just fine on their own anyways.  Who knows...

I ended up meeting up with a whitecloak instead!  So exciting!  So fancy!  They didn't seem to know any fancy tricks or anything, but we just went through and took a normal Journey, with nothing too exciting happening, though I brought them along with me to go see the Flow secret (which I'm assuming they probably already got, but hey what the heck, right?).  I also got caught by a war machine in the last possible place that you can get caught by one--in the middle of the snowstorm, I was just short of making it to cover when the war machine spotted me and hit us both.  Ahh, I felt so sorry!  Well, I guess scarf length doesn't really make a difference at that point anyways, but still...

Come to think of it, I don't think we went through that route when I was taking my second journey.  I can't remember what we did instead, but I guess we just avoided the war machines altogether when I was following the redcloak from last time?  Hmm...

They really did such a great job on the feeling of movement in the game.  I think you have to play it to really know what I'm talking about, but the way that it ties into the rise and fall and rise of the story is really really well done.

No comments :

Post a Comment