Friday, March 26, 2021

I've always said that most of the problems stemming from internet and social media aren't inherent to the platforms themselves, but rather the content and the users that are there.  Of course there has always been some sort of gray area, since increasingly (and this of course is part of the problem) it is the platform itself that decides what to show you rather than simply being transparent.  But when I go online and see in my shared spaces a bunch of content that I....really don't care for, I don't really find myself blaming the technology itself, rather just the abstract societal herd that led to this sort of content becoming the norm.

That argument that I used to always make, though, is becoming less and less true, as it becomes apparent that many of these platforms are doing more and more things that could, in fact, be considered inherently bad.  Privacy issues, political agendas, copyright wars, you know the drill by now.  In the older times, these things didn't really matter so much.  These platforms existed to gain users, true, but they carried more of laissez-faire approach to what actually happened with the stuff on there.  Nowadays you can't even choose a web browser or search engine to use without considering who you might be selling your usage data to.

And yet, the herd marches ever forwards.  Someday perhaps there will be a sort of breaking point where I can no longer interface with it.  For it will have strayed too far from the old abodes that I still dare to call home.


No comments :

Post a Comment