Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Every time I hear "ask" as a noun I still cringe, but fine...just, for the love of god, please do not use "solve" as a noun*.  We have a specific word for that already: "solution".  If this continues to propagate we are going to end up with phrases like "That was a great execute of your plan", "Your respond was inappropriate", and "I have an argue with that".  ...We are all going to sound like non-native speakers who don't know how to conjugate verbs... =(


While we're at it, I'd like to point out that calling an MtG sealed pool or a sealed tournament a "sealed" really weirds me out as well.  It's fine to call a booster draft "a draft" because draft is clearly the noun.  "sealed" is an adjective, as in "sealed deck", so it sounds really weird to say "Let's do a sealed."  It's even worse when you try to pluralize it: "I'm going to practice by opening up some sealeds."  But note that "Let's play sealed" sounds fine because "sealed" is still the adjective here -- you're just omitting the noun: "Let's play sealed (deck)".

*Notable exception can and should be made for speedcubing.

No comments :

Post a Comment