Monday, July 27, 2020

Not really sure what things to write here and not to write here.  I feel like writing more is good for me, but sometimes writing less is good for others.

House is pretty much free of fleas now, so we did a great job vanquishing them.  There are still some outside in the yard but the inside is pretty much all clear except for the possibility of the one room that currently isn't being used.  Yay.

The fleece throw blanket that we put through the washer is doing just fine.  It probably shouldn't go through the washer again like that but after a bit of time it looked a lot better than when it first came out of the wash, and then I got a metal brush/comb (for pets) to help detangle the fibers as well, which seemed to help a bit.

Played MtG (in paper!) for the first time in gosh knows how long...I could feel my brain slowly melting, haha.  Games like alttpr are of course also very mentally demanding, but those are somehow less tiring, really.  I think it's because there's a good mix of on-the-fly thinking but also some sections which are just execution where your brain gets to relax a little more (though often your brain is still considering what the next "plan of action" should be in the meantime).  MtG is just....really tough.  Combat can be a nightmare to tease out sometimes and even more basic stuff like spell sequencing, I made some mistakes on.  On the plus side, I feel like even being rusty, I'm able to look at a somewhat complex board state and use heuristics to feel out what should be the right play without delving into every single possibility.  I think those sorts of "broad strokes" intuitions are super helpful, and being able to make value judgments in terms of trading resources.  Every action in MtG is really just a matter of trading resources (sometimes on-board resources, other times potential resources), so in the end the decisions just boil down to evaluating different resource exchanges against each other.

I've been working on an art project this month and it's nearing completion!  It's been really great to work on actually, doing art like this makes me feel happy and alive.  Unfortunately this also means I didn't managed to get around to the All in a Day's Work 5 cover (d'oh).  That'll have to be next...

Have not been doing so much in the physical exercise front, but getting back into it, with some DDR and such.  I took a stab at making the frankenstein-hacked soft pad better by replacing the super thin foam layer with something more sturdy, but in the end the thin crappy one worked better as it was more flexible.  So that was a bunch of hours basically wasted, though I did at least cut some extra holes and trim the thin crappy foam so it is better than when it started at least.  I also found the input debounce setting in Stepmania, which serves to combat jittery sensors, so that's great.  Still not a perfect pad of course, but I mean...there's a limit here.  Hard pads unfortunately are still not the easiest to get, would probably cost a few hundred dollars.  Not worth it at this point, though I'll have to revisit that decision come xmas maybe?  In the meantime I could serve to refresh my poi skills and especially my taichi forms, which I have been seriously neglecting.

Streamed another alttpr run today.  Ended up being on the slow side as it was an all dungeons required seed, so all the other times were pretty slow as well.  Given that, I did decently, though I had some execution flubs.  My routing felt ok, maybe I could have made better calls on where to go first, but I felt like the paths in which I routed my checks in general were just fine.

So the BBS that I found has a non-active game of Falcon's Eye going with one supernation and....that's it.  I started building up my nation but we'll see if the other guy just randomly decides to crush me or not (they spied me, but didn't attack....).  There's a game of LORD going, which seems to actually have players, but unfortunately the Ultimate Universe game seems to not even be setup to run correctly, as the daily maintenance doesn't seem to be running.  On the plus side, I took the time to figure out how to run the AI players written for UU (yes, the registered version has AI players!  amazing...), so now I've got my own local universe dimension set up all for me, and I can play at my own pace, with the 15 other AI players in the universe all doing their own thing.  So far I've set up my ship with some basic stuff, gotten a bunch of money through trading, paid off my federation debt, bought a bunch more devices, and have now created a planet and am trying to get that all established and running. :D

Having the urge to continue the Touhou 1CC challenges where I left off, which means trying to attempt Subterranean Animism on Hard...we'll see if/when I start that.

Social studies...it's hard to feel like just doing random stuff is really effective at this point, but something is better than nothing, I feel like.  I put in my daily effort today.  Someday I think it'll take some more concentrated efforts to feel like I'm doing the right thing, but that day is not today, nor is it tomorrow.

Also, I realized that I missed the Journey anniversary event this year.  I'm marking it on my bdays and dates calendar (march 13th) so I don't forget next time...

No comments :

Post a Comment