Tuesday, April 26, 2016

LD35, Moving, Stardew Valley

Aaaaaand we're back.  Lots to cover!

Ludum Dare was great!  We made a 2D metroidvania-style platformer called Nyamo's Adventure.  It was a lot of work but it went surprisingly well -- Unity was a slam dunk and I'm definitely glad I gave it a chance, as there's no way I could have made this game in the allotted time using HaxePunk I don't think.  I'll write a full post-mortem later, and we have plans to tweak and add a lot of stuff for a post-compo version (which we will link), but that was a big success, so hooray!

I moved!  I said a bittersweet goodbye to my great apartment at The Meadows and packed up all my stuff to move in with my friend, who is renting me a room + office space in his new house.

I will dearly miss my old place, much more so than the previous one in Mountain View (which was more of a temporary stop than anything), and as such I made sure to take a full set of parting photos and even a walkthrough video for my own rememberances.  Here's the old bedroom in all its full glory:


New place is exciting and great though!  It's very nice with hardwood floors and everything, and I still get a lot of space to myself, which is awesome!  I've only just begun to unpack things (mainly just my desktop and my bedding), so there's a lot of work that will need to get done on that front over the next few weeks when I get the chance.

So, unpacking and working on Nyamo's adventure.  I've also got another music commission that someone hired me to do, so that's on my plate as well.  I've been quite tired and lacking sleep recently but hoping to fix that starting tonight!  It's been a really busy last couple of weeks, what with Ludum Dare, packing, moving, and work has been busy as well (not crazy busy, but no-idle-time busy).  Thankfully work has actually been going not so bad at all, so that's nice!

I've been playing a lot of Stardew Valley together with Meowmie, and it's been really awesome!  I have to admit that it took me a bit to warm up to the game -- it felt like it was kind of lacking direction at first -- but I'm over that phase and now happily living out my first year of farming.  It's currently the beginning-middle of Fall and we've got into a nice routine of checking in on the cows, goats, chickens, ducks, bees, mushrooms, etc... I've been making good friends with Abigail mainly, but gifting the other villagers from time to time too!

The major down to the past couple of weeks besides general tiredness and lack of sleep has been an annoying ear dysfunction that causes my left ear to feel half-plugged on some days...it sort of comes and goes and apparently is just congestion in my eustachian tube of sorts, probably just related to allergies and/or general congestion (though strangely enough I don't have my more normal allergy symptoms).  It's pretty annoying when it happens, and I haven't really been able to make it go away for good yet, so let's hope that it settles down, maybe with some extra sleep and such.

No comments :

Post a Comment