Wednesday, August 16, 2023

There's been a lot of stuff, I guess...

JaSmix came and went.  Besides a few very minor hiccups, everything went well; better than expected, even.  I knew that we wouldn't have the numbers that we once had, but I was also afraid we wouldn't do good numbers at all, or that nobody would stick around.  Seeing the energy level at certain points (and at the end) of the night harkened back to an earlier time in 2018 or 2019 when I realized that I had something great on my hands.

Really though, one of my main worries was simply that I wouldn't enjoy the event.  I haven't enjoyed many a dance activity at this point; I thought JaSmix would just be added to the list and then I would realize that there's no longer a reason for me to do these sorts of things anymore.  But it surprised me a bit in that way, too.  I could tell that I enjoyed it, that it was worthwhile.  I think it remains to be said, though, "why" I want to organize JaSmix.  That answer for me was more clear, in the before times, when I felt more of a sense of responsibility to the community at large, more of a sense of providing something for a space that I was involved in.  But I don't think I feel that way anymore, at least not in the same degree.  Does it matter to me whether people are offered a space to teach and learn at my event?  Does it matter to me how many people stay dancing through the night?  What would have made it different, made me decide that I didn't enjoy it?  Things going wrong?  Less people showing up?  One particular person not being there?  Those are questions that I can mull over.

My month of dancing continues.  I at least have made a few realizations about things that need "fixing", so there's that.  And even if it's a little bit at a time, I am getting practice in, though maybe not the most quality practice.  We'll see.  I'm keeping it up, at least.

Rhythm Quest continues to be blocked by both my schedule as well as my lack of energy, surprising for someone like me who is so constant with these kinds of things, but this isn't really the first time that this has happened for the project, not even the first time this year.  I'll be back at it, surely enough.  As long as it doesn't happen too late...

Baldur's Gate 3 has been fun.  Despite the critiques and complaints I may have about it, at the end of the day it's got enough fun elements (and tactical gameplay) that I can give it a pass, and spend time on it.  AT the very least, it's something that I have on hand to look forward to; that's something that I had been sorely lacking in recent months.

I'm taking a little break from Super Metroid Any%, but only after achieving a new PB, a 57:23.93.  It felt good!  I'm demonstrably better at not only a lot of the individual room strats, but also just techniques in general (stutter 3-tap short charges are no longer just a pipe dream).

Yesterday I felt soooo tired in the evening.  I barely managed to finish up an art piece for the month somehow before calling it a night.  Today I.....didn't actually achieve that much, but I also had to get dental work done for some hours, so I gave myself a pass for the rest of the day and didn't really have second thoughts about it.

So yeah.  I dunno.  There's good and there's bad.  There's the JaSmix success and the having to get a tooth crown.  There's the Any% PB and there's getting a parking ticket.  There's playing Baldur's Gate 3 and there's not working on Rhythm Quest.  It's sort of just a mix, ya know?


No comments :

Post a Comment